When establishing an SEO strategy, we have already noted the point in the article on SEO optimization, that you should make a choice of keywords for your content. It is impossible to start working on your referencing if you don’t create a good keyword base. So, when you are about to launch a service marketplace, producing quality content to increase its visibility is one of the essential elements to take into account.
What is a keyword?
The keyword represents the main topic of your content page. When you start writing content, you need to choose a keyword on which you will base your writing, so that your text is referenced on it. Your keyword must correspond to the search that a user can make, that is, the few words he could enter on the search bar.
There are different types of keywords:
- Branded keywords, which consists of directly using the name of your brand, product or service. There is very little chance that you will not be first on this keyword knowing that your name is in principle unique.
- Information keywords, i.e. those that are in the form of a question or accompanied by the word “definition”. This type of word allows you to access a more qualified traffic because the person in question will try to find out more about your service or product, which suggests a potential acquisition.
- General keywords, mainly composed of one word, such as in our case “marketplace” for example. The only disadvantage of this type of words is that they are subject to hard competition, because all your competitors will also be associated with them.
- The intention keywords, which are characterized by the presence of an action verb in the expression. They are interesting and can bring traffic from qualified customers to your site. The only problem is that they are highly competitive and are used for paid ads, which means that the “normal” results appear much lower on the page.
- Short and long tail keywords, judging on the size of the keywords. Short tail keywords are the best Google queries, those that generate the most traffic. They are called short because they are mainly composed of one or two words and are very general. Regarding the long tail, they generate less traffic but correspond to more precise searches, composed of several words. And since there are more words, it is easier to position yourself in several places. If you are just starting your SEO strategy, this is the type of keyword we recommend.
How to choose the right keywords and establish a successful SEO strategy?
To get an idea of the best keywords to choose and how to implement them, many techniques can be explored.
For example, thanks to a tool such as Semrush, it is possible to see which keywords your competitors are ranking on: you can know on which ones you should also rank, but even see where they are not and thus where you can try to rank. With these proposals and your basic ideas, it is then possible to create a whole base of keywords that you can keep and use on your different contents. Moreover, once you have chosen them, you can integrate them into Semrush directly via the “Position Tracking” section: you will be able to easily observe your position in the search results for each keyword you have integrated.
To help you find your way around, we recommend that you establish a score for each word based on the purchase intention of the volume and the difficulty of positioning yourself on the word. We can also talk about the “top and bottom of the conversion tunnel”:
- The keywords at the bottom of the tunnel are those that will result in a strong or even immediate purchase intention. This includes words that are very explicit about the product or service you are looking for, in our case “create a marketplace of services” would be one of them.
- The middle of the tunnel is composed of keywords intended to inform before proceeding with a purchase. The potential customer will then try to find out exactly what the service he is looking for and will certainly want to compare the choices offered to him. Words such as “marketplace definition” or “best marketplace creator” will be found.
- The top of the tunnel, which includes all the terms that do not really define a purchase intention. This concerns the keywords that could bring the user to you, but that do not concern you directly. For the marketplaces sector, we could find “selling on the internet” or “how to offer services online”.
If you classify correctly the keywords you will have chosen thanks to the tool of your choice, you will be able to choose the most performing words and to optimize your SEO in the best possible way. For a good strategy, we advise you to select a maximum of 50 keywords: keep in mind that it is not possible to be on all fronts.
Paid Ads campaigns
Even if you concentrate all your forces on choosing good keywords and you see your position in the search results increase, there is a foolproof technique to be the first to appear. Indeed, it is possible for you thanks to a tool such as Google Ads to set up campaigns based on certain keywords. During a search, you will automatically appear in the first results with the mention “Ad” preceding your Meta title. It is therefore smart to check the keywords on which your competitors are placed to be able to position yourself on them and give you the best possible visibility.
With Google Ads, you can also search for keywords that come directly to your mind and see how many searches are made on this word, the competition on it and other indicators.
In conclusion, when establishing your SEO strategy, keywords are the first element to consider, as they represent the very essence of SEO. However, there are many strategies to improve it and one is not enough: netlinking is also a way to increase your traffic and your position in searches. If you implement all these elements, you should see your SEO improve in no time!